Does smoking a spouse affect the success of IVF?

lana

Does smoking a spouse affect the success of IVF?

Post by lana » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:41 am

Girls, hello. I have a question, but can the smoking of my husband affect the quality of the embryos? My husband has been smoking for 24 years, he will not drink alcohol before IVF. But he can not refuse smoking, I know for sure. Write please who had successful IVF attempts provided that your husband smoked! I understand that smoking is bad, and he needs to stop smoking. But my husband does not listen to my advice, nor does he listen to the doctor's advice. That's what I do in this situation, is it a dead end? Thanks in advance.

jabill

Re: Does smoking a spouse affect the success of IVF?

Post by jabill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:20 am

Hi Lana, I read an article on internet which explained that paternal smoking can prevent the couple from being parents. In IVF chances of failing at the time of fertilization and fragmentation of cells is observed due to smoking habits of parents. You should force your husband to leave the habit.

Tessa

Post by Tessa » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:49 am

Are you using his sperm for IVF? If you are, it can affect the outcome. Too bad that even if he stops during IVF it will barely change anything. 24 years smoking is a long time. This means that nicotine has affected his whole system. The advantages of quitting now to your IVF are negligible. Can you probably use donor sperm?

Katie1777

Post by Katie1777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:33 am

Hello there! I hope you are doing great! I am so happy to see that you are being proactive with your DH's smoking. I am also glad to hear that he has promised to abstain from alcohol. I see your DH had been smoking for 24 year! That is a long-ass time! So, I understand how hard it must be for him to quit smoking now! The best time for your DH to quit is probably 3 to 6 months before IVF cycles. This is because it takes about 90 days for sperm to become fully grown and ready for action. It’s also beneficial to cut down on the drinking, eat a balanced diet and take multivitamin supplements containing folate.

Katie1777

Post by Katie1777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 am

I see he is adamant about his decision not to quit. Do you think he could at least give it a try? Maybe, you should encourage him and visit a therapist. I guess if he really wants a baby, he has to make some compromises. I know it is easier said than done! However, I suggest he try to think about this. Also, IVF is expensive. You don't want to be coughing up cash on multiple cycles cause your DH refuses to stop smoking.

spyder02

Post by spyder02 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello to you my friend. It is so sad to know that you got in this situation. It's super hard to deal with addictions! In your case it is even harder because you aren't fighting your addiction but your husband's one... Now smoking alone can cause a looot of issues on man and women alike. When it comes to man though nicotine (that is the main ingredient in cigarettes.) is known to be a great sperm killer. So not only does it affect the health of the sperm cells it also completely destroys them. Now when doctors do IVF they usually test the sperm and so on, if there is any issue they will probably know. The best thing to do right now would be to take measures to prevent the worst. Tell your husband to eat food that makes sperm healthy. Broccoli, dark chocolate, eggs and so on... I really hope that things will go fine for you. Life can be really cruel bitch sometimes, lets hope you don't face that again. God bless you dear!

kmora

Post by kmora » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 am

Hi dear, how are you? Well you are talking about passive smoking, and it is really harmful for the health, it is the same damage as a normal smoker I think, so you should really talk to him about it and the consequences it could bring to both of you. I found some good information about passive smoking that I hope it helps you: The consequences of passive smoking are well documented regarding the risk of lung cancer, obstructive ventilatory trouble, ischemic cardiopathy, infant disease of the respiratory ducts and of fetus growth delay caused by smoking during pregnancy. If the potential risk is much lower than the risk induced by active smoking, very few people can avoid exposure to smoke because of the large amount of active smokers in the population. Rather than the characteristics of the emitting source and the particularities of smoking (speed and inhalation), it is mostly the ventilation of rooms where non-smokers are exposed to the smoker's smoke that constitutes the significant point. The consequences of environmental smoking on health would justify to take statutory decisions protecting the rights of the smokers. This is in accordance with the resolution passed by the European Community's Council and the Secretaries of Health of the member countries. More precisely, non smoking rules in closed rooms open to the public should be enforced, particularly in schools, hospitals and finally at the workplace.

rosetta

Post by rosetta » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:47 am

Hey Lana. Of course, smoking is very harmful. It's dangerous for our health. Smoking can affect the success of IVF. No one should smoke during this process. I hope you understand. Wishing you all the very best! Take care.

Ms Solita Sierra

Post by Ms Solita Sierra » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am

Hey Lana. Of course, smoking is very harmful. It's dangerous for our health. Smoking can affect the success of IVF. No one should smoke during this process. I hope you understand. Wishing you all the very best! Take care.

Ms Callisto Wetmore

Post by Ms Callisto Wetmore » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Hey darling. How are you? Smoking can prevent people to become parents. You should try to make your husband leave this habit. This can lead to many diseases as well. Smoking is a major reason for heart attack. There are very less chances for couples to have children via IVF if they smoke.