Will IVG be the successor of IVF?

litoshka

Will IVG be the successor of IVF?

Post by litoshka » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 am

Hi! I have read the article about the new technology of IVG. The abbreviation means In Vitro Gametogenesis. It has been tested on mice. Did anybody hear about that? Maybe, I have missed any news on the subject? I find great potential in IVG. It would be interesting the opinions on that. Join!

Beats95

Re: Will IVG be the successor of IVF?

Post by Beats95 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 am

I have read a few articles on the topic. It really sounds fantastic! I can not say my imagination is meager, but I can not realize how to produce sperm and eggs from a skin cell(s). Modern technologies are hitting the tops. It means a real breakthrough in infertility treatment. The advantages are obvious for me. No hormone therapy needed as it currently is. The great bank of DNA material as well.

NinaFL

Post by NinaFL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:00 pm

The topic is really very interesting. As far as I understand, to date, there are no active plans to test this technology on human subjects. Scientists are quick to note that the complexities of the human reproductive system are far more advanced than those seen in mice. They remark that the jump from success in mice to success in humans could be pretty many years away.
Who knows for sure? We have been wondering at smartphones only a decade ago. Now it is absolutely common even with kids. The same story with other stuff. The progress brings new surprises every single day.

NinaFL

Post by NinaFL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:31 pm

So, as for the years away, I doubt it. Much sooner. What worries me, is the social implications of this new technology. As well as moral issues and ethics. It will make us rethink the whole concept of modern family. Let's think.
The implications of this technology could not only offer a cure for infertility in humans but also radically change the nature and common definition of biological family. That’s because the IVG technology could help same-sex couples reproduce so that each partner is biologically related to their child. Even more dramatical, it could also facilitate “multiplex parenting.” It is a term created by scientists already. Even before a successful testing on a human body. For me, it means we are short in time before IVG will be announced as an option. Multiplex parenting literally means the next. " A radical expansion of reproductive autonomy that allowed more than two persons to engage simultaneously in genetic parenting.” Sounds long and sophisticated. In a more simple way, it means more than two parents for one baby. It makes me excited! Want to hear your opinions.

litoshka

Post by litoshka » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:42 pm

So, one baby may have a few parents? More than two regular? Up to this time, father and mother were the unconditional and necessary elements for parenting? I get it that since now there may be three or even more parents? Especially, in the same-sex couples. Is it what "multiplex parenting" means? I am not ready for that yet. How to determine the part of parentage? I can see even more issues to arise after a birth of an IVG-baby.

nicolesh

Post by nicolesh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

4 or 5 parents sounds pretty weird now. But we surely will face that rather sooner than later. The modern family is changing very quickly. We did not operate a term "same-sex family" at all even a few decades ago. Now it's a common practice in many countries. Why "multiplex family" has no right to be used? Although It still sounds uncommon for my ear. But...Who knows?

NinaFL

Post by NinaFL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:08 pm

"Multiple parenting sounds" sounds at least strange as for now. I am trying to imagine how it may look like. Here are my suggestions. First, for a lesbian couple, IVG could help to produce sperm from one female partners’ stem cells. The couple could then conceive using the natural egg of the other partner and the IVG produced sperm. The couple could then choose whose uterus in which the resulting embryo would be implanted. For me, it looks this way. Simple and clear. As for now. With gay male partners, the scenario may be similar. An egg cell would be produced from the stem cell of one partner and then inseminated with the sperm of the other to produce an embryo. In that case, they would definitely still need a surrogate to carry the developing embryo to term. Two parents again.
Maybe, I miss something, where is the multiple parenting here? Just biological connection for same-sex couples. Who knows more how multiple parenthood looks like?

Beats95

Post by Beats95 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

It is really interesting to study and discuss medical technology which does not exist yet.
Sure, multiple parenting sounds unusual right now. Neither society nor appropriate legislation is not ready for the issue. My point of view is the next.
I realize that IVG could also make it possible for embryos to be reproduced from multiple parents or a single parent. In the case of a single person, it would involve creating sperm and egg cells from their stem cells and reproducing them. The scientists it clear that this is not the same as cloning because the process would not involve replicating the person’s DNA. It is not that clear for me but in such a case, a single parent is a source of sperm and egg cells.
Multiplex parenting, which involves more than two parents, raises the strongest ethical implications at the very beginning. There was the similar precedent in 2015. The UK became the first country to legalize “three-parent babies,” through the using two new technologies. There was a maternal and donor egg fertilized with the farther's sperm. I drop the details. It all has resulted in a baby with three parents.
In case of IVG, this scenario goes beyond three parents to up to 32(!!!) genetic relationships. I do not know how it may be, but it is a fact. If IVG becomes reality, society will have to consider all the issues.

FunBarb

Post by FunBarb » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 pm

32 parents? I was ready to hear 3, 4, or five. But 32 are hard to carry. Does all that mean there may be baby farms with programmed fertilization? What will it look like? Is beyond my imagination. Then, what about the value of human life? I get off the discussion to ponder about some things. Hope to continue later on.

Beats95

Post by Beats95 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 am

I have studied some materials on IVG yesterday. My conclusion is that there are no substantial obstacles to the implementation of IVG from the medical point. It is a matter of time. But society is not ready yet to accept it. I mean appropriate legislation. Especially so-called "multiplex parenting". Next, the term "baby farms". For me, it sounds scary.
Any ideas? How do you envisage that?