Does paternal age impact the rate for birth defects?

Daisy_john

Does paternal age impact the rate for birth defects?

Post by Daisy_john » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Advanced paternal age is associated with increased risk for a variety of birth defects and other potential problems. Although it can be hard to separate out male age as an individual risk factor for birth defects with so many other factors at play, we know that some birth defects can be attributed, at least in part, to an older father.

Cleft lip/palate

A Danish study of over a million births concluded that older paternal age is a risk factor for cleft lip and cleft palate, independent of maternal age.

Down Syndrome

A 2003 study evaluated more than 3,400 cases of Down Syndrome and found that, contrary to previous popular opinion, the age of the father was a factor in 50% of the cases. The strongest effect was seen when both partners were older (over 35).

Autism

A 2011 analysis of multiple research studies demonstrated that men over age 50 were twice as likely as a younger man to conceive a child with autism.

Schizophrenia

A similar analysis also done in 2011 showed that men over age 30 were more likely to conceive a child with schizophrenia, with the greatest risk associated with men over age 50. (The same study found that there was also a slightly elevated risk associated with being too young of a father – less than 25.)

Bipolar disorder

A 2008 study found that men over age 55 were 1.37 times as likely as men in their twenties to father a child with bipolar disorder. This effect was more pronounced when looking only at cases of children whose bipolar disorder was early-onset – meaning, older fathers tended to conceive children who developed bipolar disorder earlier in life.

Conclusion
A man's age does affect his fertility. Men never stop producing sperm for any natural cause and there is no max age that a man can conceive. However, advanced male age has the following negative impacts on fertility:

- longer time to conception

- decreased sperm quality

- increase in abnormalities in sperm DNA

- increased risk for miscarriages and birth defects

Rachel

Re: Does paternal age impact the rate for birth defects?

Post by Rachel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Wow. I am so distressed yet amazed to read this post. I have never read about this. That how age could be such a huge factor. I hope more awareness is raised on this topic. Clinics must provide proper guidance to parents too. Especially referring to fertility clinics too. Adoption must be presented as an alternative.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am

Oh dear. This is bad. It is better to have children at a young age then. However, it isn't necessary that you meet your life partner soon. For some it takes a lot of time to meet the fated one. One cannot say anything about it. Women also go through menopause hence, there is an age limit for them too.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Hello to you sweetie.Good to have you here dear.i hope everything is going fine. Thank you for sharing this information with us.. I have never read about this. That how age could be such a huge factor. I hope more awareness is raised on this topic. Clinics must provide proper guidance to parents .God bless you dear.

britney

Post by britney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 am

Thanks for creating awareness amongst the coming generation. It will be of real help. There are both kinds of youth nowadays. I have seen so many who prefer having kids at early age . They want to enjoy babies and later when they are in mid thirties kids are now teenagers. Where as many think to make career first. Which is fine if they do not waste a lot of time.

Willma

Post by Willma » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 am

The paternal age effect is the statistical relationship between paternal age at conception and biological effects on the child. Such effects can relate to birthweight. Congenital disorders. Life expectancy. And psychological outcomes. A 2017 review found that while severe health effects are associated with higher paternal age. The total increase in problems caused by paternal age is low. While paternal age has increased. This is not seen as a major public health concern. The genetic quality of sperm, as well as its volume and motility. All may decrease with age. A growing body of research is revealing associations between birth defects and a father's age. Alcohol use and environmental factors. They say these defects result from epigenetic alterations that can potentially affect multiple generations. The risk of low birthweight in infants with paternal age is "saucer-shaped" (U-shaped). That is, the highest risks occur at low and at high paternal ages. Compared with a paternal age of 25–28 years as a reference group. Evidence for a paternal age effect has been proposed for a number of conditions, diseases and other effects.

Madeline

Post by Madeline » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Hey there dear.Hope you are having a lovely day. Thank you for sharing this information with us.. I did not know this. That how age could be such a huge factor. I hope more awareness is raised on this topic. Clinics must provide proper guidance to parents .God bless you dear. Take a lot good care .

RachelBraganza

Post by RachelBraganza » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:54 pm

Hey Daisy! Hope you are doing well. Thanks for posting this. This is one interesting post. Felt enlightened reading this. This look so well researched. Thanks a lot! God bless you.

Naine

Post by Naine » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes, I think so.Because there is a hormonal imbalance as the age increases.So, maybe it leads to birth defects.But not in all cases.So, to avoid this.conceive at an early age.Otherwise, it will not good for parents as well as for the baby.Think about it.Best wishes for all of you.

spyder02

Post by spyder02 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Holy molly this is great. Hello there deary? How are you doing today? I hope that everything is fine at your end. How has your week begun? I hope it was great... Mine has been so unpleasent you can't believe. So much so that I am wishing nobody else si going through the same thing. Not even my worst enemy. Anyway, let me not get too distracted. This is an amazing post. I really enjoyed reading through it. Thank you for making it and deciding to share it here with us. It is great to have people like you aboard our humble community, I am wondering whether your thinking on making more of these?Or have you already done them? I would love to see new ones regardless! However if you have other ones, please tag me so that I may see them. Thank you very much again. God bless you and your loved ones.