Unexplained infertility

martina

Unexplained infertility

Post by martina » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Infertility is a pretty stressful problem for loving couples who want to have a baby. One of the most frustrating diagnosis in reproductive medicine is so called “unexplained infertility” which is used to describe a couple who have been trying to conceive for a year or more, and despite undergoing all most modern fertility tests, no reason can be found to explain the infertility. In cases of unexplained infertility no firm strategy and guidelines can be provided and chances for pregnancy are actually not known. Doctors cannot tell about whether conception is ever likely, how much longer it may take, and whether assisted conception should be considered immediately or in the longer term.
It is known that about 10-20% of couples experiencing fertility problems will have unexplained infertility. Although it is hard for a couple to learn why they are infertile, learning that there doesn’t seem to be any explanation for your infertility can be even more difficult.
There are two groups of infertile couples who “suffer” from unexplained infertility:
couples who are just unlucky and don’t have any medical and/or biological problems which could be considered as a cause for infertility;
couples who most probably have a medical reason for infertility, but infertility cause cannot be discovered due to insufficient medical knowledge or technology.

UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY diagnosis

In most cases the diagnosis of unexplained infertility is based on exclusions of all possible infertility causes. Unexplained infertility can be confirmed only if the following tests demonstrated good results:

Female partner

Ovulation is occurring normally (time and sizes) on a monthly basis;
Fallopian tubes are open (not blocked) and healthy;
Hormone profiles are normal and adequate according to the menstrual cycle days;
The lining of the uterus is of adequate thickness according to the menstrual cycle days and ready for implantation on correct time;
Endometriosis is excluded (using modern methods);
Pelvic adhesions are excluded (using modern methods);
Anatomic structures of reproductive organs are normal (absence of pathology, absence of fibroids and polyps);
Absence of vaginal infections including STDs;
Positive postcoital test.

male partner

Semen analysis is normal – high sperm count and good sperm motility;
Absence of pathology in reproductive organs;
Absence of infections including STDs.
Both partners
Absence of any serious chronic diseases;
Healthy lifestyle (excluding drug abuse and
tobacco abuse)
The exact reason as to why pregnancy is not occurring cannot therefore be explained. The more tests that are performed, the more likely it will be that a reason for your infertility will be found.

UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY possible causes

Ovulated Eggs

The quality of eggs is very important. In general ovaries can produce eggs every month but not all of these eggs are suitable for fertilization and division. Eggs need to be of the proper shape and size and must contain the right chromosomes to be successfully fertilized and implanted. If the quality of ovulated egg is not perfect, fertilization and implantation could be a problem and the couple could have problems getting pregnant.

Luteinized Unruptured Follicle (LUF) Syndrome

Normal ovulation is a crucial component in fertility. During ovulation, it is possible for eggs to become trapped in the sac that protects them – while maturing, eggs are kept inside of a tiny membrane, called a follicle and when stimulated (by specific hormonal medicine), this follicle bursts to release the egg. The egg then moves into the fallopian tube and the leftover membrane becomes the corpus luteum. Sometimes though, a follicle can become a corpus luteum before rupturing, trapping the egg inside (instead of ovulation). As a result, ovulation never occurs.

Fallopian Tubes

Sometimes, unexplained infertility is actually caused by tiny abnormalities in Fallopian tubes which contain structures that help to sweep ovulated egg inside. The fimbria are finger-like projections located at the ends of each fallopian tube – they grab onto ovaries, helping to coax the egg inside. Both Fallopian tubes also contain cilia, tiny hairs that help to move the egg down into the uterus. Sometimes, there are problems with the fimbria or cilia, which can prevent ovulated egg from being fertilized.

Problems in Luteal Phase

It is well known that the period after ovulation called “luteal phase”of the menstrual cycle. During luteal phase, the corpus luteum begins to produce hormone progesterone which is responsible for uterus preparation – endometrial lining for implantation. Sometimes the level of progesterone could be changed (reduced or increased for several reasons) and as a result, the endometrium doesn’t become properly prepared for implantation.

Immune Problems

In general the immune system is designed to protect body from invading “unknown” and “unexpected” cells and organisms. Immune system is responsible for killing off disease and infection. Sometimes the immune system can be “damaged” and confused (because of strange signals from brain and organs). Changed immune system can start fighting and attack own body cells (eggs). Male partner’s immune system could even be attacking sperm cells, causing them to stick together, become immobilized, or even die.

Infections

Different types of infections and especially vaginal infections and also sexually transmitted infections could create problems for normal fertilization and implantation processes. Sometimes infection is not detectible by laboratory tests because these particles exist in such small numbers that they are undetectable through examination.
Weak Sperm
In order to become fertilized, sperm must be able to break through the outer shell of you egg. Sometimes, even healthy-looking sperm cannot break through the egg in order to create an embryo. The quality of spermatozoids is crucial.

Stress and Emotions

Stress and emotions can play a very important role in infertility – important for both partners (females and males). The entire reproductive system and reproductive functions are controlled by the brain. Any stress and/or negative thinking and/or emotional distress can sometimes interfere with the brain’s ability to control the reproduction in couples. For example, the depression has been linked with decreasing of women ability to get pregnant. Unfortunately reproductology experts aren’t exactly sure how or to what degree stress and emotions can play a role in infertility but it is recommended to try to avoid stress and/or use stress management tools. Sometimes just changes in life could have positive influence at psychological component of your fertility – change of house, styles, habits, atmosphere, etc. You might want to think about redecorating your home or office in order to create a more relaxing environment in which to focus on your thoughts and on your body.
Prematurely Aging Ovaries Syndrome (PAO)
It is noted in women after 35. As a woman ages, the number of follicles within the ovaries decreases, causing infertility. PAO occurs when this process happens to younger women, well before menopause.

pollutionisbad

Re: Unexplained infertility

Post by pollutionisbad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Red through the whole thing and... I don't want to be disrespectful or anything it's just that... What are the sources to these claims? Like o have heard ghe majority of these things beofre. I have also come up on articles debunking the majority of things mentioned here. I think that you should also. State a source here. That can be much more helpful. You know that a mistaken advice can devastate much more than an absence of advices. Again I am not saying anything against your or what you stand. It's just that the internet is filled with false information. I am just worried that we are being fed lies. You are part of us too. God bless you dear. I am sorry if I said something wrong. Just tried to prove my point.

Willma

Post by Willma » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:03 pm

It is a long post indeed. But one who is yearning for information will read it all. The article is so informative. I must say that I have learnt a lot. That's why I am glad to be here. I feel at home. You always educate me with much information. You equip me with things that I was not aware about before. I hope you will go on posting such. I always though that unexplained infertility has no reason at all. Yet there might be some causes behind it all. I was not aware of all this. I can say it feels like I am from a biology class. But well, there are somethings that we will never be taught behind closed class doors. We learn them as we associate with people. Especially concerning the immunity issues. Like how can your body fight itself. It is funny when trying to understand this. That the immune system can sometimes be confused. Anyway, things do happen.

Damaris

Post by Damaris » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Dealing with unexplained infertility can be so stressful. I know of various couples who have been through this. Where they do not know where the problem lies. So you spend all your money finding for a solution. Then the funny part is that you do not even know what the problem is in the first step. I wish that people could be educated concerning this. Your post brings a lot of knowledge with it. Perhaps many couples could see this. But I always feel there might be means of reducing this rate. The way infertility is among the most fastest growing ailment. This I by changing our lifestyle. We start living a positive life. What we eat and what we do. Will determine a lot with how our fertility will be like. This will prevent any type of infertility issues. Be it known or unexplained. So this goes oit yo all couples. Even the soingles. Because one day they would want to start a family.

Girl

Post by Girl » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 am

Well, this is so diverse. I am much thankful for the information that you have shared. I never even knew some of the staffs taht you have mentioned here. But nearly all my life I have dreaded suffering from any unexplained problem. Like how are you going to start the process when you don't even know what the problem is. But your post is so deep. Hoping with time the medics will come up with a means of detecting what one is really suffering from. But what I would like to tell those who are suffering from this. It could be better if they found out from various sources of their problem. Like seeking extra medication somewhere. Even if it means going to other 5 clinics to get their ideas on the same. Maybe some other doctor might find the solution to the problem. Perhaps in the end it was not unexplained infertility in the first place.

Kate Hobs

Post by Kate Hobs » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:22 pm

What an informative post.Many of the causes you've mentioned are not even known to many of us.We all should be aware of these things and shouldn't completely rely on the doctor.Knowing such information will help us understand our bodys better.It will also help us make any concerned decisions wisely,Thank you for sharing this information.Bless you sweetie.Do keep sharing more information with us.Really appreciate it.

Alicia Haydon

Post by Alicia Haydon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Hello, dear. Good day to you. Im so thankful to you for writing this down. Feels like I made a good decision joining this forum. This is so informative. I wasnt aware of all of this. This is definitely really helpful for those in need. This looks well researched. God bless you for being so considerate. Thanks!

amygreen

Post by amygreen » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello Martina. How are you? How is your husband? I hope your guys are doing good. You seem like such a sound and kind person. May your life be full of love and happiness. Good luck. Take care.

Samantha

Post by Samantha » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Abundant of information there. So useful in understanding. Must be helpful for mothers who are going through this phase. The stress pointer is completely right. One needs to fight stress. It can harm us more. Hope more people would share information.

Katherine

Post by Katherine » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 am

Hi, Martina. I hope you are doing well. So much interesting and informative post. I think it would be very helpful for those females that have infertility issue. You explained each and every topic of infertility. First time I see that some discuss problems as well diagnosis of this issue. I say you should share it on surrogacy as well. Surrogacy is the best forum where maximum knowledge about infertility issue share. People like you are like the diamond in this society. I am once again thanks to you. Take care!